KSSL based S/MIME plugin available

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Sat May 17 17:08:18 BST 2003

On Saturday 17 May 2003 00:50, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Is there a license problem with OpenSSL or not?
>
> OpenSSL comes with advertisement clauses that might cause problems yes:
> "3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
>  *    must display the following acknowledgement:
>  *    "This product includes cryptographic software written by
>  *     Eric Young (eay at cryptsoft.com)"
> and
>  * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
>  *    software must display the following acknowledgment:
>  *    "This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project
>  *    for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit. (http://www.openssl.org/)"
>
> One could be of the opinion that this puts a legal obligation on
> applications like e.g. KMail. The question whether KMail is a derived work
> of OpenSSL is irrelevant in that respect since the license only speaks of
> "use of this software". I think it's the opinion of the FSF that such
> additional obligation is incompatible with the GPL.

   Yes we've been through this many times before.  It can't be changed,
everyone (including OpenSSL devels) know it's a problem.  Given that anything
can use KSSL if it uses KIO, where do we stop?  I think it's stupid to
plaster all of KDE with this.  Once place in kdelibs/kdebase is sufficient
IMHO.  We have kdelibs/kio/kssl/README and I thought that konqueror or
konqueror.org mentioned it once as well.  I can't find it anymore though.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/