[Patch] Updated patch for permissions dialog

Karl-Heinz Zimmer khz at kde.org
Sat May 17 08:28:50 BST 2003

On Saturday 17 May 2003 01:04, Dominik Seichter wrote:

> I updated my patch for changing the file permissions using octal numbers.
> A screenshot can be viewed at
> http://krename.sf.net/screenshots/kde-patch2.png . I changed the label in
> front of the line edit to "corresponding octal value" as it was suggested
(...)
> This patch contains also a What This help for the new widget,
(...)

I like this design and - quoting Waldo - would say: "I don't think it is
that bad, it's comparable to the color dialog where you have a line-edit
for "#552066" colors."

In fact the similarity of this field with the line-edit on the colors
dialog makes it quite hard /not/ to become interested in how this might
work: many people are used to think in RRGGBB when defining a (HTML-)color
so I expect that normal human curiosity will make several users ask how
this might work for the file permissions.

Having the checkboxes means one can try setting them checked/unchecked and
seeing the corresponding digit change back and forth...

Therefor I opt for using this approach and adding this line-edit to the
existing dialog.

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:khz at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>            <mailto:khz at kde.org>