[Patch] #29984 Change file permission using octal numbers

Josep Febrer josep at idomenorca.com
Fri May 16 08:53:02 BST 2003

Hi, all KDE developers

I'm Josep Febrer the original author of the wishlist.
I have to confess that the real request come from my brother. He wasn't very
Unix friendly at that time, he always set the permisions on octal mode with a
ftp client on a window$ machine, and was a bit disapointed that Konqueror
doesn't let him to do it.
He learned what 644, 755, 777 mean but when he had to deal with the checkboxes
he feel that were more complicated.
This was their vision that I can confirm with others window$ users.
Recentlly I have the oportunity to try a Mandrake Cooker box that has a recent
development version of GNOME. I tried Nautilus and I was surprised that this
option was present, I don't know if this feature was present in any other
stable release of Nautilus because I haven't tried GNOME since a lot of time.
The Nautilus about box say me that is Nautilus 2.2.3.1.
I have to admit that I'm a bit impressed with the discussion of my humble
wishlist, this demonstrates to me that KDE development is very open.
I atached two screenshots one from the Nautilus properties view and other with
a "gimped" proposal of the Konqueror properties dialog.

Last but not least, I want to congratulate all the KDE developers for their
excellent job, I know a lot of people which is pleased with KDE and
especially with KDE 3.1.

P.D.: I apologize if my english isn't as good as it should be.