[Patch] #29984 Change file permission using octal numbers

Dominik Seichter domseichter at web.de
Thu May 15 15:44:35 BST 2003

Hello,

Am Donnerstag, 15. Mai 2003 16:20 schrieb Scott Wheeler:
> On Thursday 15 May 2003 14:32, Dominik Seichter wrote:
> > The patch adds a line edit to the permission page of the properties
> > dialog. The user can enter any octal number in the line edit to change
> > the file permission like he would do when using chmod. Additionally the
> > file permissions selected by the user are shown as an octal number.
>
> Hmm, to me it just doesn't seem like this belongs in the GUI -- certainly
> not simply with the string "Permissions".
Well, you are right. The string "Permission" should be changed. I simply had
no idea for a better, more descriptive string. Maybe "Octal Permissions"
would be better or "chmod Permissions".

> I think understanding Unix
> permissions is confusing as is, but allowing for setting the octal mode
> would just add another widget to the general confusion.  This would seem
> roughly like being prompted for command line switches when dragging and
> dropping a file "because it's more powerful that way".
The additional widget might help the user to better understand the concept of
unix permissions numbers, because the number is updated in real time, as soon
as the user clicks on one of the checkboxes. Maybe there is a possibility to
make it more obvious to the user that s/he has not to change anything in this
line edit. I can't think of any better way right now.

> Anyway -- just my opinion; we'll see what others think...
:-)

CU Dom
Dominik Seichter - domseichter at web.de
Krename - http://www.krename.net