[QWK] Proposal: paths notation

Ralf Habacker Ralf.Habacker at freenet.de
Thu May 15 07:02:00 BST 2003

Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:

> III. Solution for notation:
>
> My proposal is to map win32-specific paths to unix-friendly format. The
> method would be this:
>
> a) convert all paths names to lowercase
> b) map "\" to "/"
> c) map <drive-letter>: to <drive-letter>| , (drive letter always written in
> lowercase)
>
> This allows us to fix all the problems described in II.
> Example mappings:
>
> "C:\Program Files" -> "/c/program files"
> "D:\kde\lib" -> "/d/kde/lib"

A little note: the cygwin POSIX emulation environment uses the same solution to
deal with the path mapping problems.

Additional cygwin supports a mount table stored in the registry to archive the
generic mounting feature in unix. See the examples below:

$ mount
c:\Programme\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
c:\Programme\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\Programme\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
c: on /c type user (binmode,noumount)
d: on /d type user (binmode,noumount)

Cheers

Ralf