KDE 3.2 release cycle

Daniel Stone dstone at kde.org
Wed May 14 10:58:16 BST 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 03:41:05AM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> it's great that they are available and that their creation is automated, but
> there are two challenges with ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/snapshots as i see it:
>
>  o there is no coordination as to when they are to be tagged. when a person
> downloads those tarballs, they get recent CVS: broken or not. this makes them
> worthless as preview releases, which should offer at least a modicum of
> stability. they wouldn't require the QA / testing that an actual release or
> even an alpha release gets, but they should be tagged around times when CVS
> "feels" healthy (fewer crashes, motr new complete features, etc).

Essentially, release management. Without the freezes. Or bug-squashing.
Or anything, really.

>  o they aren't publicized. Mosfet's original concern, as i read  it, was that
> if the "KDE fan" part of our user base was left without visible signs of life
> and/or something new to play with every few months while we extend a release
> cycle, they won't be very happy and may decide that KDE development is
> slowing up or even stopping.  this would be a job for kde-promo.

Anyone can submit a story to the Dot - why don't you?

> the build script in there is ok, but something like konstruct would probably
> be more useful, as it takes care of the downloading as well as the building
> and installing... and since these are "might kill your firstborn if you use
> it" type releases, it should be installed in the home directory.

Isn't this an entirely semantical argument, the type you hate?

> obviously, this is all a moot point if we don't have longer release schedules.

Even *if* we do, IMO, but there you go.

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel at raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone at kde.org>
KDE: Konquering a desktop near you - http://www.kde.org