KDE 3.2 release cycle

Daniel Stone dstone at kde.org
Wed May 14 01:36:42 BST 2003

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 03:37:22PM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 11 May 2003 09:19, George Staikos wrote:
> >    Doing a release is not small undertaking.  It is a lot of work for the
> > packagers, the release coordinator(s), the translators, the documentation
> > team, and developers.
>
> CVS snapshots meant as preview releases for developers/enthusiasts do not need
> to go through the motions of actual releases. translations don't need to be
> up to snuff, nor does documentation.
>
> a set of tarballs that are the result of a cvs export && make -f Makefile.cvs
> should suffice... for that matter, a release of konstruct that is set up to
> grab a CVS version would probably be enough... if people could do this:
>
> tar jxvf kdesnapshot.tar.bz2 && cd kdesnapshot/meta/everything && make install

The problem there is that, no matter how much you distance it from a
release, people will always still get the impression that you're
supporting it as an official release.

Negative feedback sticks a lot more than positive feedback. All it takes
is a couple of people whining about how it sucks and how unstable it is
to scare off a lot of people.

> and get a working kde CVS snapshot, that would be awesome... in fact, one
> would imagine that it would be possible to write a simple script that
> automatically cvs export's a set of KDE tarballs and uploads them to a well
> known server so that releasing a new snapshot is the matter of running a
> single command ...

Can you point to a single day where everything has just *worked* in CVS?

> >  KDE becomes more complex with each release, and each
> > release requires more work to test and polish.  HEAD is definitely not
> > stable yet, and there are major unresolved issues.  3.1.x, however, is
> > quite stable and making sure that the it receives regular bugfixes is a
> > good way to provide users who don't use CVS-HEAD.
>
> this isn't about providing users, it's about providing enthusiasts and
> developers who wish to keep up with KDE development. these are important
> members of our community.

Why can't they just do for i in qt-copy arts kdelibs kdebase kdeadmin
kdebindings [...]; do cvs -z4 co $i; done? I don't see the difference,
except a lot more pain for us.

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel at raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone at kde.org>
KDE: Konquering a desktop near you - http://www.kde.org