Moving QExtMDI to kdelibs

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Tue May 13 23:25:19 BST 2003

On May 13, 2003 07:07 pm, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> I agree that MDI as in Konsole and Konqueror is useful and improves
> these applications, but these are fine-tuned implmentations for this
> specific applications. Something like the "windows-in-windows" approach
> known from Windows (or as in Qt designer) is a nightmare, because it
> just adds restrictions and side-effects without any gain.

There is no real difference between "windows and windows" and tabbing
as done in Konq and Konsole, other than how it appears to the eye. The
functionality, benefits, and limitations are identical for both. So you can't
say you agree with one and not the other.

This library seems to support toggling between SDI, tabbed, and windows
in windows, so really I don't see the issue. The user can use whichever
method they want.

> And you would also get new interesting bugs and support problems (It's
> much more easy to understand bug reports when you know how the windows
> a user sees look like).

And any of these bugfixes would benefit some 8+ KDE core applications, as opposed
to the current situation where a bugfix for KDevelop's MDI does nothing for Quanta,
nothing for Konqueror, nothing for Kate, etc.

--
Jason Keirstead, BCS
http://www.keirstead.org