KHTML developers: Animated GIF playing

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Mon May 12 17:34:00 BST 2003

On Mon, 12 Mai 2003, Mosfet wrote:

> I've been kindof annoyed at animated GIF playing using QMovie for some time.
> It used to take a lot of resources, now it sometimes takes all the CPU and
> makes the GUI crawl. Because of this I wrote my own animated GIF player based
> on libungif. Qt's version manually parses each byte of the GIF ;-)

[KHTML developers listen under kfm-devel at kde.org btw]

The actual problem is more KHTML related: often it repaints too much, and
animated gifs trigger a repaint of the complete viewport and not just the
tiny rectangle of the gif.

I do wonder though if the libungif version would have less bugs than the Qt
GIF reader (which is still terrible buggy).

--
Dirk