KHTML developers: Animated GIF playing

Mosfet dan.duley at verizon.net
Mon May 12 15:36:58 BST 2003

I've been kindof annoyed at animated GIF playing using QMovie for some time.
It used to take a lot of resources, now it sometimes takes all the CPU and
makes the GUI crawl. Because of this I wrote my own animated GIF player based
on libungif. Qt's version manually parses each byte of the GIF ;-)

My libungif version seems to work much smoother to me, esp. with large GIF
animations. I didn't code it using QImageConsumer but I can do so if you all
are interested in using it. Drop me a line and I can convert it and provide
the code to you.