XDG Desktop Menu Specification - issues

George jirka at 5z.com
Tue May 6 16:44:57 BST 2003

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 01:02:32PM +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Editing a menu-item that appears in the menu twice creates a whole set of
> problems of it's own. I was just considering the case where there is a single
> "KWord" entry which the user edits to include e.g. "--extra-option" on the
> command line. You don't want to create a second .desktop file in that case.
> It should remain kword.desktop just with a different Exec=-line.
>
> It's not clear at all to me how to handle the situation with duplicated
> entries. If there are two KWord entries in the menu then what is the
> intention of the user when he edits one and adds "--extra-option"? Should
> that only apply to that one entry, or also to the other? Which .desktop entry
> should be used when clicking on a KWord-file?

Purely thinking about this from a user standpoint, if the menu structure is
supposed to be thought of as a structure with entries, then those are two
different entries and if I edit one, I just edit this one.  On the other hand
if I edit one, then I'd probably expect this one to get launched when I click
on a kword file.  What to do when there are two user edited kword .desktops?

Perhaps the best would be to let the user choose during the edit.  There
could be a checkbox with "Make this entry the default for launching kword
files"

George

--
George <jirka at 5z.com>
   It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.