KURL::isLocalFile uses gethostname

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Thu May 1 03:07:41 BST 2003

May I inquire what the purpose of adding code that performs hostname lookups
in KURL::isLocalFile is ?  Is it for the sake of compatibility with the XDND
spec. ?  Every implementation I have seen completely ignores the host portion
of a file URL even if one is specified. Try file://www.kde.org/usr/local/src/
in Mozilla or Opera for example.  I think the cost of that gethostname
however rare it might be encountered is completely unnecessary. But then
again it is no secret that I think there is a lot of things wrong with KURL.
Oh well...

Regards,
Dawit A.