GTK2 font settings

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Fri Mar 28 23:17:23 GMT 2003

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 07:28:06PM +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Friday 28 of March 2003 18:28, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > I don't think it owns the desktop, I think it starts nautilus as a
> > side effect of calling methods on the nautilus server.  It's possible
> > a simple change could be made to this code to only kick in if nautilus
> > is running. Also, for a long time I've been meaning to spec a manager
> > selection for desktop ownership and get nautilus /kdesktop to honor
> > it. (Same mechanism used to avoid multiple WMs.)
>
>  That can be easily done, but assuming this XKillClient() issue is solved, for
> what else would this be needed? I fail to see why anybody would try to run
> KDesktop under GNOME, just like using Nautilus for background in KDE. On the
> other hand, KDesktop provides some quite important features in KDE, like the
> Alt+F2 minicli, or some other global keyboard shortcuts.

It's been filed as a Red Hat bug at various times. It was more of an
issue when nautilus handled GNOME help browsing, so if you started
help from a GNOME app you would suddenly get a GNOME desktop
background in KDE. Well, IIRC back a while ago you would get a GNOME
desktop background *on top* of all your windows because we hadn't
sorted out the window manager specs. ;-) I think that's fixed at
least.

We wouldn't want "--replace" mode to be the default for a desktop
background manager selection, the idea would be that the nautilus
desktop would not start up if it detected an existing desktop,
nautilus would then confine itself to being a file manager.

I won't argue it's hugely important, that's why I haven't got around
to it. ;-) I was just mentioning it, since it came up.

Havoc