dcoppython

Julian Rockey linux at jrockey.com
Tue Mar 25 21:42:28 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 25 Mar 2003 7:22 pm, Roberto H. Alsina wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25 2003 at 08:18:47pm +0100, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > On Monday 24 March 2003 18:33, Julian Rockey wrote:
> > > Is there a current maintainer for the dcoppython bindings? If not, I
> > > volunteer to adopt it, as I want to do stuff.
> >
> > Go ahead please and take it :-)
>
> Is that a non-Qt dcop for python? beause if it requires Qt,
> there is a working DCOP-pythin thing in PyKDE.
It seems like a slightly experimental version. At present it requires QT (as
any DCOP facility does), and implements a small set of QT bindings for the QT
classes that DCOP requires to be serialised. Trouble is, this
mini-QT-bindings module is called 'qt', so the first thing that happens if
you install dcoppython is that it overwrites the Phil Thompson QT bindings if
you have them installed.

My plan is to fix this up, tidy up the code and remove the dependency on QT
*bindings* (but not on QT itself, obviously), so that a lightweight Python
DCOP facility is available for KDE (and can be shipped with KDE) without
PyQT/PyKDE (which are not, and as far I as know there are no plans to).
cheers
Julian