Replace KcmFontinst with kio_fonts

Karol Szwed kszwed at kde.org
Tue Mar 18 12:00:09 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 18 March 2003 07:17 am, Vadim Plessky wrote:
>On Sunday 16 March 2003 23:03, George Staikos wrote:
>|  On Sunday 16 March 2003 14:17, Vadim Plessky wrote:
>|  > |  Yup I agree - if all systems and apps are using Fontconfig. As this
>|  > | does both fontconfig, and standard X - what's the harm? It makes
>|  > | exisiting and older apps work.
>|  >
>|  > We would (should) require XFree86 4.3.0 for KDE 3.2 release, as you
>|  > won't get latest XRENDER and XCursors otherwise (not speaking about
>|  > RandR) As FC is natural part of XF 4.3.0, I don't see how you can avoid
>|  > installing it.
>|
>|      That's impossible.  Not all platforms even have XFree86, let alone
>| the fact that upgrading XFree86 just isn't always possible.
>
>So, you think we should sacrifice KDE functionality and usability in favour
> of compatibility with, say, Solaris?
>
>AFAIK, FreeBSD uses XFree86, as well as Linux.
>Besides, XiGraphics implemented Xrender in their (closed-source) X server,
> so what do we really talking about here?..

Xsun has Xrender support as well in Solaris 9. But the point is, XFree is
simply under par on some platforms, and it doesn't make sence to make it a
requirement. Quoting from the Release notes for Xfree86 4.3.0:

"Experimental support for SunOS/Solaris on UltraSPARC systems."

Sorry, but I'm not giving up Xsun anytime soon on my usparc64. I'd rather
things are stable than have flaky coloured cursors, and I'm sure all other
KDE/Solaris users feel the same way.

-- Karol