PATCH: am_edit kdeinit library autogeneration

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Mon Mar 17 19:42:47 GMT 2003

Stephan Kulow wrote:

> What bothers me from reading the patch is that I guess you miss some
> install targets for Makefiles that do not have any other _LTLIBRARIES.
> For dcop this works as you have libDCOP.la, but what about e.g. kdesktop?

You're right, I just hit this when building konqueror.  The problem is
if there are no ltlibraries, there's a *ton* of stuff to add, and all
stuff in which it is reasonable to expect changes in future automake
versions (up to now, I've pretty much stayed away from automake-internal
targets except for the am_foo_OBJECTS one).  It ends up not having any
of the -libLTLIBRARIES targets, not to mention in the particular case of
konqueror, no .cpp suffix handling!  (since konq is all .cc, but my
generated code uses .cpp).

The simple fix is to put a fake lib_LTLIBRARIES, but that's ugly and
hackish, and rather defeats the purpose of making this stuff
maintainable long-term.

Any suggestions?  Is it maybe more feasible to maybe have am_edit invoke
a second pass or something?  Maybe I'm going about this wrong... does it
seem feasible to make a .make/Makefile.am and then postprocess that to
get the .in?  It's hackish but would at least be more viable in the long
term.  Automake appears to not allow passing anything other than
<foo>.am, so I can't just make a Makefile.am.tmp to run through.