bug handling policy / interaction with users / MPlayer

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Mar 16 21:11:09 GMT 2003

On Sunday 16 March 2003 14:47, Tim Jansen wrote:
> On Sunday 16 March 2003 02:01, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> > - he's not demanding anything, merely offerring suggestions, and good
> > ones - he's not saying we should scrap it all
> > - there is no "what already works", multimedia in KDE is way below the
> > average quality level of the rest of the project.
>
> Concerning MPlayer, there are two groups of people. Those who have used it,
> and those who have seen the code. I haven't seen a single person who has
> seen the code and still wanted to use it :) or even maintain a program
> based on it...

Well, it is C, and in the last time it got a lot more modular. I don't think
it is especially bad in design. I even wrote the DV demuxer/decoder for it,
and I also don't consider it a bad sign that it isn't a library.
Using it with the slave-option works perfectly, you can pipe data into it (ok,
then the slave interface doesn't work anymore, at least the last time I had a
look at it). But if you pipe the data, then what would you want to do with
the slave interface ?
Additionally, not using it as a lib has the adavantage that a crashing mplayer
doesn't crash the parent application.

Bye
Alex