bug handling policy / interaction with users / MPlayer

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Sun Mar 16 16:02:28 GMT 2003

On March 16, 2003 11:48 am, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> Oh I'm pretty sure mplayer sucks too. That the program is already themeable
> at this stage of development is a dead giveaway. Jamie Zawinsky's rant
> about it was quite well put :
>
> http://www.jwz.org/doc/linuxvideo.html

The whole article just goes on ranting about the GUIs of all these apps. Of course
they suck, *everyone* knows that the MPlayer and Xine UIs suck ass. I never even
waste my time building the MPlayer UI, its a piece of crap. But the engine is rocket
fast, and can play any format under the sun, even when other players say it is un-playable
( I once played a VCD that was RAR'ed, split into 24 chunks, then tar'ed together, in MPlayer
without even untarring it )* Its this kick ass engine that makes everyone use MPlayer,
no one really gives  a flying **** what the code looks like, because it works, and works better
than anything else available. Now if KMplayer is going to finally give my favorite media player
a useable UI, I am going to support it in any way I can.

*Don't ask me about this packaging, I didn't do it. Some people are insane.

--
Jason Keirstead, BCS
http://www.keirstead.org