RFC: KConfig XT (KDE 3.2)

Daniel Stone dstone at trinity.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Mar 16 08:36:12 GMT 2003

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 04:38:48PM +0100, Waldo Bastian scrawled:
> Goals
> =====
>
> * Have the default value for config entries defined in 1 place. Currently it
> is not uncommon to have them defined in three places:
>   1) In the application that reads the setting in order to use it
>   2) In the settings dialog when reading the setting
>   3) In the settings dialog when selecting "Use defaults".
>
> * Provide type-information about config entries to facilate "KConfEdit" like
> tools. Ideally type-information also includes range-information.

Bob the Angry flower says: "WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WHERE DID YOU LEARN
THAT WRONG!!".

Dudes, having a registry is *bad*. You know, we already have KConfEdit -
KWrite, vim, KVim, whatever.

I like the "defaults in one place" thing. The registry idea I don't
like, and IMHO that entire path is wrong, bad, evil, fucked-up and bad.

:) d

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone at trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne