RFC: KConfig XT (KDE 3.2)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sat Mar 15 16:28:09 GMT 2003

On Saturday 15 March 2003 17:06, Tim Jansen wrote:
> On Saturday 15 March 2003 16:38, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > * A formal comment structure needs to be designed that can convey
> > type-information. Preferably in such a way that it is easily parsable by
> > both machine and user.
>
> Where is the type information stored? I guess it would be sufficient, maybe
> even easier, to store the type information only in the default
> configuration file. And as this is a new file, it is not neccessary to
> store it as comment. It would also be possible to extend the ini format and
> maybe even create a new format (not sure whether this is useful).
>
> bye...

Yes, that's the idea.

The idea is to overload the .ini file format and store the type information
(only) in the default configuration file. The current ini format is like:

[Mail Settings]
Host=wantelbos.zogje.fr
Email=bastian at kde.org

An overloaded .ini file format could look like:

[Mail Settings]
#!Type=string
#!Description=SMTP server to use for sending mail
#!Description[nl]=SMTP server voor het versturen van mail
Host=wantelbos.zogje.fr
#!Type=string
#!Description=Default e-mail address
#!Description[nl]=Standaard e-mail adres
Email=bastian at kde.org

Lines that start with # are currently considered comment and ignored. It's
really easy to introduce e.g. '#!' as an indicator for meta-information.

Cheers,
Waldo