glib in kdesupport: yes or no?

Marc Mutz Marc.Mutz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Mar 12 17:40:15 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 12 March 2003 14:59, Neil Stevens wrote:
<snip>
> Your suggestion pre-supposes that KDE will obey the dictates of these
> groups,

You completely miss the point. It's not about "obeying the dictates of
these groups" but to _contribute_ to "those groups".

> whic\ means that even fewer KDE decisions will be made on KDE
> lists where KDE people can see them.

Those who are interested in the common standards are free to join the
resp. mailing lists. You don't complain that khtml decision are made on
kfm-devel and not on kde-core-devel, do you? That kmail decisions are
made on kmail at kde.org? So where is the difference to freedesktop.org
mailing lists (or ietf or w3c or even red hat, if they host such a
standards-making project)? That they're not @kde.org? C'mon...

> Might as well drop the whole pretense that KDE is an open project.

Everyone is free to subscibe to the resp mailing lists. If your
definition of openness is that you need to be CC'd on every decision,
then I fear KDE is not an open project in your sense, no.

Marc

--
"Similia similibus curentur"
           -- Bush's new motto in fighting terrorism.