glib in kdesupport: yes or no?

Marc Mutz Marc.Mutz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Mar 11 19:25:35 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 11 March 2003 17:46, Neil Stevens wrote:
<snip>
> I'm hinting at the things Havoc has listed.  The things Stefan wants
> us to do, glib in arts being the first step of.
<snip>

The Gnome-and-KDE-become-one stuff? Well, that's the personal opinion of
STW. Since then, the discussion has rather more evolved into
what-can-Gnome-and-KDE-share. And there's no need to run around
panic-stricken and proclaiming the end of KDE, since

1. You and all the other Gnome-takes-over-KDE-cantyerseeit's won't be
the ones burdening themselves with implementing the stuff anyway
2. The common standards that were defined up to now didn't make KDE nor
Gnome lose their individuality
3. Even if they did, you could be sure that you could configure your KDE
so that it keeps looking like KDE 3.0.
4. Users probably want it (common DnD protocol, common clipboard
protocol, common WM protocol, why shouldn't there a common IPC
protocol?)

If you don't like the way the freedesktop.org standards work or you want
them to be more KDEish, stop whining and join the respective mailing
lists.

This, BTW, holds for everyone and every standards body (except ISO,
perhaps). If you have an interest in an evolving standard, join the
working group, don't complain only if it's finished.

Marc

--
[Norton SystemWorks 2002] Wipe Info uses hexadecimal values to wipe
files. This provides more security than wiping with decimal values.