Replace KcmFontinst with kio_fonts

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Tue Mar 11 18:49:16 GMT 2003

On March 11, 2003 02:18 pm, Neil Stevens wrote:
> I think a determined UI designer can do a better job than a hope that
> "intution" will make the user know what to do.

> > It's the way most other OS's do it - and even GNOME will be
> > uing fonts:/ to install fonts (although I agree this doesn't necessarily
> > make it a good idea).
>
> Right.  It's not a good idea. :-)

The issue is not weather or not theoreticlly a UI deisgner could come up
with a blessed new UI. WHy do people always forget about the idea of
familiarity? When something is done a certain way on nearly every platform,
it is what users get accustomed to, and radical paradigm shifts should be
avoided from this interface if at all possible.

All versions of Windows since 95, Mac OS, and Gnome all do this the same
way. Why should KDE be different, just "for the sake of being different"? Not a
good plan.

> > Fonts are just files, and all a user wants to do
> > is copy these somewhere where they can then be used.
>
> Maybe to you they are files.  But to a user, they are a system service just
> like an application.  Also, on most X systems, installing fonts is more
> than just copying files around.  Any KDE UI should be equipped to handle
> such systems.

 To a user a font is not a "system service", it is a file. It is treated as a file on
every other system and that is what they will expect from KDE as well. If someone
sends my Mom a cool nifty new font she does not expect to have to go through
some control panel to install it using a wizard or somesuch, she just expects
to copy it into a folder and use it.

--
Jason Keirstead, BCS
http://www.keirstead.org