An user point of view on KDE and the glib issue

Adam Treat manyoso at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 17:39:36 GMT 2003

On Sunday 09 March 2003 10:31 am, M. Fioretti wrote:
> I am not a KDE developer. For that matter, I am not even a C/C++
> developer. I have followed, however, the "glib/KDE3" discussion here
> with great interest, and, since in that thread many things have been
> said "in the name of users", I may help to clarify things a little on
> that score, starting from the two statements which I pasted below.
<snip>
> Only, when you say "users" please
> specify that you mean "that little _minority_ of current *nix users
> which would actually understand, and care of, the "elegance" of this
> or that solution". Not the average *nix newbie of this period, who
> just needs a desktop quickly.

Hey Marco, I can't wait to read your article in LinuxJournal:

"If you don't like the fact that applications written with different toolkits
often don't work well together, now there's something you can do about it.
Check out our cover and read Marco Fioretti's ``The Grand Unified Desktop''
article on page 38. Marco received a lot of comments on our web site when he
praised Red Hat's Bluecurve desktop for mixing the best of GNOME and KDE, and
now he's taking an in-depth look at standards for things like drag-and-drop
and configuration files. Don't take sides in the desktop war--follow
standards so you can use the applications you like."

Cheers,

Adam