glib in kdesupport: yes or no?

Ian Reinhart Geiser geiseri at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 05:11:20 GMT 2003

On Monday 10 March 2003 12:57 am, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 11:25:20PM -0500, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> > > Here is a list of stuff we haven't started on in earnest but should
> > > start, that I presented at FOSDEM:
> >
> > Is there a lower grade than F?
> > Sounds like what George Staikos assigned for communication on these
> > issues isn't quite low enough.
>
> They aren't communicated because no one has started on them. ;-)
> There's no progress or plan to be communicated. All I'm listing here
> is my personal opinion on what's a good idea or how it could be done,
> that's it.
>
> If someone picked this stuff up and really worked on it, the main work
> to be done (what I mean by "start on it") is to find the right people
> and talk to them and implement the resulting consensus. i.e. the
> reason I say it's not started is that there's no communication yet.
>
> Please don't take my list as some kind of existing master plan, it's
> just a list I have in my head (and happened to present at fosdem) of
> stuff I'd like to see, personally.
>
> Havoc

Well lets get the ball rolling.
Zack and I have talked about setting up a KDE meeting here this summer on the
east coast of the US.  Maby we need to expand that focus?  I am sure I can
scare up a few Gnome developers arround this area too...

I know im interested in the DBUS stuff... but only as far as a faster
transport for DCOP.  IMHO we need to start to bring the freedesktop.org stuff
to a larger focus in both projects.

This is the middle ground as I see it...  The more stuff we define and
implement there the better it is for all of us.  I think the .desktop
standard really was a big first step for us.  From a user perspective at
least.   The NETWM stuff is still comming along in KDE, but that too is a big
step in makeing things play well together.

I know this is drifting off from the topic here, but I think this is just a
symptom of the larger problem...

dunno, just my 2c
- -ian reinhart geiser

- --