KSplash/ML donation?

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sat Mar 8 17:29:55 GMT 2003

On Samstag, 8. März 2003 15:20, Mosfet wrote:
> Not sure exactly how you expect me to reply to this email...

I'm sorry if that has been a bit too harsh, it certainly wasn't meant to be
preventing anything. You just have to see that we all had this unpleasent
experience with KDE and you for the KDE 2.2 release IIRC when you left the
project because of those issues that I noted. And you had a brand new ooh
theme manager that was already working and we never saw even one line of
code.

That resulted in that it prevented people from writing one because they
thought you'd do that. We ended up in the situation where we are now. Still
noone cared about it but the subject comes up again.

If you want to be part of the community you're very welcome. Everyone is
delighted by your ideas that you share and your commitment to KDE that never
changed despite of you leaving the project and we're thankful for that IMHO.
So, if you want to get your CVS account back I'd be more than willing to
support that.

We just have to work out *real* plans that result in *real* code which can be
included in the 3.2 release. That's the only thing I'm concerned about.
Nothing more. Please go ahead if you want to come in again, like I said, I'd
be more than willing to support you getting your CVS account back, but we
should be aware on both sides that when you left it was for reasons. I don't
want such a situation to come up again under any circumstances as it will
give us the same bad press if that will happen.

If we can agree on real work like we used to do in the early days and really
do the job, fine.  If you don't think you've got the time or the energy to
write a thememanager that is complete, then you could also serve as a
coordinator that just directs people on how to do it the way you think it
should be done, that's also fine.

Regards,

Ralf

> On Saturday 08 March 2003 2:21 am, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> ...snip...
>
> > Hi Mosfet et alii,
> >
> > didn't receive anything yet - did that go under somewhere ? Mosfet, I
> > remember that you were working on a thememanager ever since, but one
> > thing that noone ever saw was some working code and design guidelines :-)
> >  I wouldn't have a problem if you'd pick up your work at KDE again and
> > take this thing into your hands with the promise that we don't possibly
> > run into legal issues with mimicing user interfaces and that we aren't
> > forced to decide about adding untested code too shortly before a release
> > :-)
> >
> > Ralf
> >
> > > Regards,
> > > Fredrik