Spell Checking built into KTextEdit?

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Fri Mar 7 12:17:21 GMT 2003

On Friday 07 March 2003 12:20, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> At times it's annoying in KMail though because it is set to spell check
> either English or Dutch, but can't mix both. Ideally you could set a
> language for every contact in KAddressBook and use that as default spell
> check language, at least for KMail and Kopete. For Konq it makes sense to
> use the page's language, though I wonder if you can actually determine
> that reliably.

I talked some to Mattias Kretz about this last week.  This is easier than it
would seem since you're not actually working with a set of all languages,
just the set of those for which you have dictionaires installed.  One simple
way would be to provide a sample text method that would apply spell checking
to that string and set the language to the one that produced the least number
of errors.  This would be close enough for most situations, but in the cases
where it guessed wrong, would probably be pretty confusing for users.

Cheers,

-Scott

--
Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so.
--Bertrand Russell