RFC on Makefile.am fixes for (non-portable) linking against libtool modules in KDE

Michael Matz matz at kde.org
Thu Mar 6 15:24:52 GMT 2003

Hi,

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Lubos Lunak wrote:

> > Ehh no.  You don't want to do this in automake.  am_edit is perfectly
> > capable to do the rewriting you want.
>
>  And how exactly should the Makefile.am look for am_edit to work?
>
>  I first thought about simply having the app written normally without
> all that LTLIBRARIES stuff, only with some flag marking it as kdeinit
> module,

I guess, I don't know, what exactly you want to automate.  Certainly you
_do_ have to change some of the Makefile.am's.  What can be automated
easily is the creation of the stub file, and maybe the creation of the
module and exe from the library and the stub file.  The Makefile.am would
look like so (for an "program" bla):

-------- snip ------
lib_LTLIBRARIES = libbla_base.la
libbla_base_la_SOURCES = ... <the-sources>
CREATE_KDEINIT = bla

What am_edit would do, is to create the stub-files, and add rules for
creating executable "bla" and module "bla.la", both linked to
libbla_base.la, but with different stubs.

Yes, those custom rules would possibly not look like automake generated
ones.  But I don't know reasons why it couldn't be done.  We also create
other rules on our own, for instance the whole enable-final support.

Ciao,
Michael.