kdebase/kicker/applets/clock

Ian Reinhart Geiser geiseri at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 30 18:25:01 BST 2003

On Monday 30 June 2003 01:08 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 30 June 2003 09:15, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> > On Monday 30 June 2003 10:20 am, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > > Maybe the design should be reevaluated then. It's rather a huge burden
> > > if we can no longer polish our UI without causing configuration
> > > breakage.
> >
> > This also implies that our config files where correct to start with?
> > While thats subjective, id be more inclined that UI polish takes
> > precidence.
>
> i think Waldo was referring to the fact that by storing a numerical value
> that relates to the ordering of the item in a combobox, the UI is now tied
> to that representation in the configuration file.

Okay that part I agree with, but in this instance its quite minor.  For more
advanced cases the widget may need to be ignored and done manually.  But in
the case of this combo box the data is static so an index should work with no
issue.

> if it was changed from a combobox to a listbox, or god forbid a tree, or
> radio buttons, or.... then a configuration file change would be necessary
> (kconfupdate, hooray for wasting developer's time)
This would be true if this was so extreme, but its not.  Currently it seems
this issue is just for combo boxes and lists... Things like radio boxes are
immune.

> if another option is added, causing the order of items in the listbox to
> changed, same story. unless we decide that we don't need/want to keep
> things in a sane alphabetical order.
>
> honestly, i don't see the problem with enabling KAutoConfig to associate a
> map of values with the entries in a multi-entry widget. this would be a
> couple lines of code for the developer (basically codifying that mapping)
> and would ensure maximum flexibility in UI reorg later on. the fact that
> it's nicer to the config files would just be a bonus.
I think its more of a matter of code, than of issue with the idea.  Aka,
translations dont always match up with keys, keys dont match up with the
index.... etc...

Its not an impossible problem, just an annoyingly difficult one.

Cheers
	-ian reinhart geiser

- --
- --:Ian Reinhart Geiser <geiseri at yahoo.com>
- --:Public Key: http://geiseri.myip.org/~geiseri/publickey.asc
- --:Public Calender: http://geiseri.myip.org/~geiseri/publicevents.ics
- --:Jabber: geiseri at geiseri.myip.org
- --:Be an optimist -- at least until they start moving animals in
- --:   pairs to Cape Canaveral. ~ Source Unknown