"International Domain Names" support in KDE

Marc Mutz Marc.Mutz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Jun 24 19:52:00 BST 2003

On Saturday 21 June 2003 14:31, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> KDE doesn't need it because we can link against LGPL code (GNU
> libidn). But if the IDNA support is moved from KDE to Qt, then maybe
> Trolltech would benefit from a BSD-licensed library to merge with Qt.

This doesn't make sense. They can just as well link against libidn.
That's what LGPL is all about, isn't it? And they probably should,
since it's hopefully going to be the std on Linux until gliibc supports
it directly.

> Or, then again, they could write their own implementation based on
> the RFCs and reuse the QString's Unicode tables.

They can't reuse the QString tables, since they are subject to updating
to Unicode 4.0 eventually. IDNA (nameprep) instead directly references
the Unicode 3.2 tables and _nothing_ else. Using 3.0 (as Qt currently
seems to be doing) as well as 4.0 tables would result in
non-compliance.

So they'd be better off to link in libidn instead of duplicating their
own Unicode tables, the more so as libidn shouldn't present any major
portability issues.

Marc

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.      -- Benjamin Franklin