"International Domain Names" support in KDE

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Sat Jun 21 13:46:10 BST 2003

Am Samstag, 21. Juni 2003 14:31 schrieben Sie:

Hi Thiago,

> >Are there any competing RFCs?
>
> Not that I know of. Should there be any?

There used to be much discussion which characters will be used to "escape" the
internation enconding. Many institutions then started to optain potential
IDNs based on these assumptions.

On the other hand the registrars saw which "IDNs" are interesting and then
when using a different encoding claimed that the names are theirs and only
for lease or rent.

Maybe you have heard about their problematic Wait Listing Service (WLS)?

> I think one standard is enough

Yes, I agree. Though access to the names should be fair and not monopolisitc.

> >> As for patents, well, I can't be sure, but the whole process is
> >> described by the above RFCs in a lot of detail. They don't mention any
> >> patents.
> >
> >Which does not mean that verisign or someone else applied for a patent.
>
> Indeed, but I don't feel that is the case.

I would love to get a response from Verisign on the topic of patents.

Yours,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de