Flexibility of dockwindow handles

falk.brettschneider at gmx.de falk.brettschneider at gmx.de
Mon Jun 23 07:21:40 BST 2003

> The other reason why nobody complained is that the natural audience for
> dockwindows are (were?) using KDock* from kdelibs. While I applaud their
> efforts for bringing dockwindows into KDE before Qt supported them, they
do
> not play nicely with QDockAreas, require the use of KDockMainWindow which
> duplicates most of the dock functionality in QMainWindow
This is sad but true. This way it's a workaround for bad class design of
QDockWindow which methods, unfortunately, are all not virtual. That's why there
isn't any chance to implement tab-page docking which is a key feature we need
to implement the TabPage mode and the tool-views of KMdi. I rather like to
overload QDockWindows than to have an own implementation of dock-widgets. I
tried it with partial success but it's simply impossible with the current
QDockWindow API. I hope it'll be basically changed in Qt-4. Though the best would
be if QDockWindow provided Tab docking by itself. Then KDockWidget would
simplify to about 100 lines of code...

Ciao
F at lk