sysconfdir usage in KDE [Re: KStandardDirs::kde_default function calls]

Chris Cheney ccheney at cheney.cx
Tue Jun 3 21:47:18 BST 2003

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 08:55:21AM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> On Monday 02 June 2003 19:58, Chris Cheney wrote:
> > > Hmm, it makes sense to be used in calls to addResourceType, hardly
> > > anywhere else.
> >
> > Is it safe to leave entries in kde_default alone if they are not the
> > correct locations for an install? Currently I am patching it, but if it
> > is safe I will just get rid of the patch.
> Hmm, patching kde_default will basically add problems to those compiling
> apps theirself as the Makefiles don't know where they shall put their stuff.
> So you should in any way make sure that apps compiled against debian
> kdelibs find non-patched apps.
>
> Greetings, Stephan

Can KDE HEAD move to using $sysconfdir/kde for its config files? Config
files belong in /etc as mentioned in FHS. I have worked around this
issue for KDE 3.1 by creating a symlink from /usr/share/config ->
/etc/kde3.

The only other locations I have to modify from default are htmldir and
cgidir. I set htmldir to 'share/doc/kde/HTML' because 'share/HTML' is a
reserved directory on debian. I set cgidir to 'lib/cgi-bin' because cgi's
are installed in that location on debian.

On a related topic, htmldir files aren't even in html anymore (xml now),
why don't they just go into share/apps/khelpcenter instead? (they aren't
easily read without that program anyway)

Thanks,
Chris