Kate in HEAD constantly crashes when opened document changes on disk

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Wed Jun 4 03:04:56 BST 2003

On Tuesday 03 June 2003 03:21, Anders Lund wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 June 2003 05:53, Dawit A. wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Kate from head has recently became unusable for me because it just
> > crashes constantly and some of the things that used to work do not
> > anymore! Do any of the kate developers use their own baby ?  The crashes
> > I encounter are almost always caused by an open file that has changed on
> > disk for whatever reason, mostly a kdebug output file. The crashes
> > themselves seem to be caused by the many assert calls in
> > kdelibs/kate/katebuffer.*, specially the ones in
> > KateBufBlock::line(unsigned).  Anyways, I am posting this here because I
> > am hitting these assert points.  Can one of the kate developers please
> > take a look ?  I cannot be the only one running into this problem.  I am
> > using KDE HEAD (of course) and Qt 3.2 beta1 (qt-copy version).
> >
> > BTW, while I am at it, changing the default hightlight scheme does not
> > seem to work either :(
>
> Thank you for taking interrest in Kate.
>
> We all use Kate all the time with (usually) no crashes. You should keep
> kdelibs/interfaces/ktexteditor as well as kdelibs/kate equally up to date
> for the katepart editor component. There has been some recent changes in
> the Kate application that requires an update of kdelibs/kdeui along with
> kdebase/kate.

I always do this. Infact, the entire kdelibs and kdebase packages are updated
automatically updated on my machine on regular basis (every other day) and I
am currently running on yesterday's cvs version.

> The problem with the highlight schemes are known, but not yet solved, a
> workaround is that removing $KDEHOME/share/config/katesyntaxhighlightrc
> usually makes it go away.

Did that no difference :(  All I wanted to change was make the comment fonts
non-italic form. However, when I click on that check box in the default
highlight dialog the "Apply" stays grayed out.  Perhaps a missing signal/slot
connection ?

> You are wellcome to contact us any time by writing to kwrite-devel at kde.org,
> and cullmann, anders and jowenn are quite often available in #kate at
> irc.kde.org.

Ok. I will subscribe to the list. Thanks...

Regards,
Dawit A.