KDE difficult on requirements

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Thu Jul 31 10:14:00 BST 2003

On Donnerstag, 31. Juli 2003 11:03, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> And I answered:
>
> On Wednesday 30 July 2003 19:33, Martin Konold wrote:
> > Technically KDE is a much easier framework to create powerful
> > applications in a short timeframe with limited ressources.
>
> Compared to what?
> The problem with Ralf's original statement is
> that he compares KDE's (build) requirements to
> that of _any_ other piece of software,
> not limited to comparable desktop environments or GNOME.
> Given the difficulties that I personally experienced over years,
> KDE's requirements are complicated by absolute standards.
>
> Even if geared towards desktop environments,
> which would need a detailed in depth comparison
> I doubt that KDE comes out on top with (build) requirements.
> It might come up on top in other criteria,
> this is not the right threads to go into the details.
>
> > The stability and maintainance of older versions
> > is exceptional withing KDE. We even still
> > provide patches for old KDE 2.
>
> I never said that KDE is bad in any way, it is good.
> Nevertheless there is room for improvements.
> (I've described that in more detail in other subthreads.)

Bernhard,

please give konstruct a try. It will build KDE right away automatically for
you, compiles and installs it in your home directory. This may reduce your
time and effort to keep track with the process of quality control through
automating the process of keeping track with the dependencies.

When it comes to building Distributions or UNIX systems that ship with KDE as
a component the distributors will take the job of tracking the dependencies
and the packaging for easy installation.

Ralf

Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org