Qt 3.2 requirement

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jul 28 11:14:50 BST 2003

Matthias,

thanks for your post and opinion.
Let me start responding to the issues you reased in reverse order.

Naturally new versions of QT for KDE and Free Software in general
are desirable and it is good that Trolltech makes them available.
Nobody proposed to stop testing new QT versions
and I also don't intend doing so.

Bugfixes and improvements are both important.
As you can see from my other post responding to Ralf,
I believe that the focus might slowly change over time.
KDE is becoming a mainstream product and that is a huge success.
It should be okay to try to evolutionary improve its development process
if conditions change.  Demanding "everything should run with
everything" is unreasonable as you have already implied.

As hinted upon in my answer to Ralf, we might search
for a way to not force developers (but encourage them)
to test new QT versions and improve basic libraries
without drawbacks for the stability.
One idea would be to be more strict about separating bug-fixes
from new features.

I can fully understand your bug-fix argument,
that has not been put forward in the debate so prominently yet.
What were the reasons to not make a bug-fix only QT release
and having a new feature release available at the same time?

Note that the debate now has been drifted into more general matters.
I stressed Cornelius concern originally , because I also share it.
The first arguments coming against that view have not been very convincing.
If QT 3.2 is close to a bug-fix only release,
it might be the right thing to switch the KDE 3.2 requirements to it.
Still the arguments for or against it should have
that drawback of forcing some developers in mind
and may that can also be improved in the future.

Bernhard