Maintaining KSpell

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Mon Jul 21 22:12:15 BST 2003

On Monday 21 July 2003 22:55, Zack Rusin wrote:
> Ave,
>
> while fixing KSpell last week I noticed that it's pretty much
> unmaintained and it's been like that for over a year. Laurent was
> mostly the one who was working on it lately, but unfortunately he
> doesn't have the time to be maintaining on it and David doesn't respond
> to emails.
Me?

> Therefore, hopefully with everybodies blessing, I'll take
> the maintainer position of KSpell and try to close most of the
> bugs.kde.org reports for it before we'll release 3.2. Any objections?
Surely not :)

But please have a look at koffice's libkospell (by Laurent).
The goal is to have a lib that can interface
* libaspell (preferred if a dictionary for the requested language is installed)
* ispell and aspell binaries, like kspell does.
The point is that you get much better performance when using a lib instead
of a separate executable, and more features too.
The idea behind libkospell is/was to replace kdelibs's kspell at some point
(AFAIK the API is pretty much the same). This is all I know, better ask
Laurent for details.