[Kde-events-de] Showing HEAD at LinuxTag....

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sat Jul 5 14:16:34 BST 2003

On Samstag, 5. Juli 2003 14:38, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 01:33:02PM +0200, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
> > Example: libvcard.so.* has been renamed to libvcards.so.* in kdelibs
>
> That's not right, I just installed libvcards additionally to libvcard,
> so it's not BIC.

Errrrr, ever heard of something like "packaging" ? and that you have to keep
the compatibility in KDE 3.x ? That means that if you update your kdelibs
packages on your machine you're effectively *replacing* libvcard.so with
libvcards.so*, which means all apps that linked to libvcards.so won't run
anymore. You have to provide a copy of the lib in order to keep
compatibility. As that isn't usual nor necessary you need to keep the library
name, thus the binary compatibility. Everything else means it's only going to
work for people who use Linux from Scratch or something.

> > So, if anyone cares that Kontact or other new stuff in KDE can be shown
> > next week, you should look after bringing HEAD into a state where it is
> > usable until Monday evening. That's the last chance when I can package
> > HEAD so that it can be used.
>
> Kontact, KOrganizer, KMail, KAddressBook and KNotes works fine here
> (well, and the small crash in KNotes will be fixed until Monday ;)).

Please take care of the kdelibs issues. Without a compatible kdelibs we can't
get that working.

Ralf

> Ciao,
> Tobias