introducing brockenboring

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Thu Jul 3 11:24:39 BST 2003

On Don, 03 Jul 2003, Alex Zepeda wrote:

> I think it's suitable to expect CVS users to occasionally re-checkout a
> module.  Yeah, it's not an ideal solution.  But it's an artifact of using
> CVS.

I don't think so. I haven't re-checked out a CVS module for years (unless I
screwed it up by nuking rm -rf ~/ or similiar).

make -f admin/Makefile.common cvs-clean; cvs up -A

is equivalent to a recheckout and a lot faster (and btw, much more friendly
to the CVS servers spare resources).

> But look at the alternative.  We've got loads of "empty" directories in
> modules like kdenonbeta.  Those directories serve to take up disk space,
> CPU and network resources for both the server and client.  Those
> directories *should be removed* from the CVS server, but a client would
> either have to twiddle various files on the client end or re-checkout a
> module.

kdenonbeta is not a load problem for our CVS server. 80% of the usage is
caused by kde-i18n and the message merge script anyway.

--
Dirk