separators and titles in the kmenu

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Jan 31 18:06:52 GMT 2003

On Friday 31 January 2003 18:35, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 05:43:27PM +0100, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > I don't know how the specs look, just a stupid note:
> > I think using an own file for each aspect will probably slow things down,
> > grouping more things into fewer files speeds up reading.
>
> My personal feeling is that adding the order to the XML files makes
> most sense. If you like fewer files more, and George thinks adding to
> the XML file sounds best, it sounds like we have some consensus on
> this.

I agree.

> Another thought: what if we did titles as submenus that are "inlined"
> - i.e. to do a subsection such as your KOffice subsection, we just do
> it like a submenu called KOffice, then have a flag "inline this
> submenu" that would suck the submenu into the parent menu for display
> purposes.

Yes, I like that, that way you can still use categories for your sub-sections.

> Any other possibilities?

You could have two sorted lists, ENTRIES_FIRST and ENTRIES_LAST. The left
overs can go in between alphabetically sorted on their visual title.

Should submenus be treated differently? I think that currently in our menus
sub-menus come first and then regular entries sorted on alphabet.

Cheers,
Waldo