separators and titles in the kmenu

George jirka at 5z.com
Fri Jan 31 17:05:28 GMT 2003

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 09:50:06PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Also, the desktop entry spec mentions a SortOrder key but has no docs
> on what it means or its format. (Yikes!) But reading code, it appears
> that it goes in .directory files and is like this:
>
>   SortOrder=textdoc.desktop:spreadsheet.desktop:drawing.desktop
>
> (why it doesn't use standard string-list format with ; separator I
> dunno)
>
> Again, not sure how stuff not listed here is merged in.

In the very old menucode (which the panel still uses I think) sorted menu
items come first, then all the stuff not listed is added at the end.

The problem with sorting is making it hard for more dynamic menu stuff.  For
example I think it's much saner to sort by alphabet.  Perhaps in the vfolder
XML file we could do that sort order and place where other entries are merged
in can be specified.  Including where separators would live.  In vfolder
context it really doesn't make that much sense to have a separate .desktop
for the separator.

> Clearly you could use a field in the XML file instead of either of
> these approaches, seems more sane from scratch, but perhaps sticking
> to one of the existing methods has value.

I think putting this into the XML file makes most sense since that's where
the structure of the menu is described, and order and separators really seem
like structure kind of things to me.  Plus you can be much more flexible
in the XML file then with a simple sort order.

George

--
George <jirka at 5z.com>
   What luck for the rulers that men do not think.