Three different tab implementations

Neil Stevens neil at qualityassistant.com
Fri Jan 31 12:05:30 GMT 2003

On Friday January 31, 2003 03:51, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 31 January 2003 12:42, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > >
> > > As I said, this is technically impossible. How will kwin integrate a
> > > tabbed widget into a GTK application?
> >
> > The tabbing will be in the window manager.  Does it really matter if
> > the row of tabs is below or above the status bar?
> >
> > I guess this is a case of thinking outside the (window) box. :-)
>
> Then you'd lose _many_ features - all the integration within the app.
> No more "RMB + open in new tab" (in konqueror),

For tab users, middle-click would be equivalent.

> no more "duplicate
> current tab" (there's no cloning facility at the window level...)

For tab users, location->duplicate window would be equivalent.  So that's
not lost.

> no
> way to have key shortcuts to e.g. rename tabs like in konsole (the WM
> can never assume a key shortcut isn't used by the app), etc. etc.

False.  Check the Global Shortcuts tab of the Keyboard shortcuts dialog.
KWin already has many features that can optionally have shortcuts.  So
that's not lost.

> This would sound like a very bad hack to me, with many limitations.

I'd say the same about tabs.  But one man's hack is another man's
breakthrough.

> For proper integration within the app, you want a real tabwidget
> (although it doesn't have to always show like in konsole. In konqueror
> tabbing is optional, it doesn't appear if you don't explicitely start
> using it).

But that's all you get.. integration within one app. You're locked into
that app, and can't work with documents of different apps.  Is this
something we want to settle for and encourage?

> FluxBox does it? Good, opensource is always about choice :)
> However this solution doesn't provide the kind of integration that we
> want.

I'd like to see just how the integration can't be accomplished.  If KWin
can be told that a dialog is associated with one window, then KWin can be
told what document windows go together.

- --
Neil Stevens - neil at qualityassistant.com
"Distinctions by race are so evil, so arbitrary and insidious that a
state bound to defend the equal protection of the laws must not allow
them in any public sphere." -- Thurgood Marshall