Three different tab implementations

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Jan 31 12:04:07 GMT 2003

On Friday 31 January 2003 12:51, David Faure wrote:
> Then you'd lose _many_ features - all the integration within the app.
> No more "RMB + open in new tab" (in konqueror), no more "duplicate
> current tab" (there's no cloning facility at the window level...), no way
> to have key shortcuts to e.g. rename tabs like in konsole (the WM can
> never assume a key shortcut isn't used by the app), etc. etc.
> This would sound like a very bad hack to me, with many limitations.

I disagree, I don't see any fundamental problems that would prevent such
features. You need a proper standard that covers these things of course so
that it will work with _all_ (or at least the majority of) apps.

Anyway, in order to properly evaluate such a solution you will need to have an
implementation, it might very well be that one encounters unsolvable problems
along the way but I think it's premature to claim that before. I imagine it
is not more or less impossible than the mac-style menubar.

Cheers,
Waldo