Fwd: "International Domain Names" support in KDE

Thiago Macieira thiagom at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 27 22:08:27 GMT 2003

Simon Josefsson wrote:
>Marc.Mutz at uni-bielefeld.de (Marc Mutz) writes:
>> If you are talking about GNU's libidn, I'd advise against that. It would
>> duplicate _a lot_ of unicode tables that are already in Qt.
>
>(Disclaimer: I have an interest in libidn)
>
>Using Unicode tables from QT would likely violate the IDN
>specifications, either directly or down the road, e.g.:

[snip]
>Using a specific library for IDN, instead of QT, guarantees that the
>proper Unicode tables for IDN purposes are used.  According to
><http://doc.trolltech.com/3.1/unicode.html> it seems QT references
>Unicode 3.0.1.  Although the specifications only says "later versions
>than 3.2", using earlier versions would cause similar problems.

Indeed that is the case. We may not rely on Qt's tables because we don't know
what is contained in them. And we need the "additional folding" rules and a
couple of others that aren't there anyways.

We've more or less settled down for using the implementation in libidn or
maybe a similar library (it seems there is one from JPNIC and one from
Verisign). At the moment, we're developing KDE with libidn and I found in
your library the very functions I wanted.

The resolver part of the code is more or less settled. I wonder how support
goes in the URL part now...

--
  Thiago Macieira - UFOT Registry number: 1001
 thiagom at mail.com
   ICQ UIN: 1967141  PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358
     Registered Linux user #65028