kcontrol reorganization (was: UI enhancements)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sun Jan 26 15:45:52 GMT 2003

On Sunday 26 January 2003 16:25, Uno Engborg wrote:
> On Sunday 26 January 2003 15.26, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Sunday 26 January 2003 14:56, Uno Engborg wrote:
> > > What I would like to see is instead a kconfig config tool, where a
> > > sysadmin could create kconfigs at suitable complexity level to fit his
> > > users.  The kconfig  config  tool should  also allow  the sysadmin to
> > > prevent users from configuring certain things.
> > >
> > > The default root kconfig could then look something like what it looks
> > > today and have a menu for starting the kconfig tool so that he could
> > > add or remove features to be configurable  for certain user groups. And
> > > the default non root kconfig could be somewhat simpler than it is
> > > today.
> >
> > See this thread:
> > http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=103696193130408&w=2
>
> I'm not sure what you are getting at.

The above thread basically discusses ways to get at what you describe.

Complexity is mostly an implementation concern; you need config-aware widgets
+ the associated meta-config information in order to implement something like
this in a way that it is maintainable (maintainable by the developers)

(Just like any form of usefull generic config-editor needs meta-config
information)

I guess that means that we need to get some work on meta-config stuff done on
kde-core-devel. Who knows, might even be in a usable state before 3.2

Cheers,
Waldo