Fwd: "International Domain Names" support in KDE

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sun Jan 26 00:56:46 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 22 January 2003 23:34, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 January 2003 22:23, David Faure wrote:
> > Does anyone know which parts of KDE would need to me modified to work
> > with the new "International Domain Names" standard from the IETF?
> >
> > It seems an opensource library already exists for this (see end of mail),
> > so the question is basically, who could give a hand at integrating it.
> >
> > Please Cc "Krall, Gary" <gkrall at verisign.com> in your followups.
>
> KExtendedSocket::doLookup(...) seems an excellent place to integrate it.
>
> Just a matter of replacing the _host = host.latin1(); call with something
> other than a plain unicode -> latin1 conversion.

Ok, I added support for it to kdecore. It uses libidn
(http://josefsson.org/libidn/) for the encoding functions. It auto-detects
libidn during runtime and loads it on-demand. First tests indicate that it
works just fine. Are there already actual sites with international domain
names?

How to test:
* Update, compile and install kdecore (from CVS HEAD)
* Download, compile and install libidn to /usr/local (default)
* Add www.iesg--rksmrgsa-0zap8p.example to your /etc/hosts
* Restart KDE
* Now you can browse to www.räksmörgåsa.example

Still todo:
* Make the loading of libidn somewhat more portable.
* Only try to load libidn in toUnicode() if the domain name actually contains
a "iesg" prefix.

Cheers,
Waldo