generated files in cvs (Was: kdelibs/khtml)

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri Jan 24 09:53:16 GMT 2003

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 08:17:33AM +0100, Lars Knoll wrote:
> There's a simple answer: I don't mind removing bison generated files,

good

> if we agree (on kde-core-devel)

that was the intention of this thread.

> to make bison a build requirement.

cvs build requirement, to be precise. note that "ordinary users" are not
affected.

> The other generated files in khtml are done with some quite non
> standard tools

well, i found one gperf source. it's not very often used, but it is
widely available.

> (or by hand editing

this is hardly to be taken literally, i hope.

> flex output to make it able to handle Unicode), so there I see no
> other way then to leave the generated files in CVS.

any automatic post-processing scripts can be integrated into the build
process.

one exception i agree with are seldom modified files whose build takes
very long, in particular because the preprocessor is a c++ program that
needs to be built first (like the png preprocessor in the keramik
style). the java classes are another example.

greetings