generated files in cvs (Was: kdelibs/khtml)

Lars Knoll lars at trolltech.com
Fri Jan 24 07:17:33 GMT 2003

> On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 08:42:09PM +0100, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > On Don, 23 Jan 2003, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > > - we make sure that no patches are attached to commit mails, as every
> > >   one-liner results in at least 50 kb worth of changes. that patch
> > >   append feature is fascistic anyway
> >
> > I was trying to ignore your mail, but fascistic is a pretty strong word.
> > What is the problem with it ?
>
> uhmm ... hello? you don't happen to have noticed, that _all_ of this
> mail was meant ironically?
> btw, you certainly can't deny that you sometimes wish you'd have never
> added the feature. ;)
>
> i want this topic cleared out finally. i want to hear better arguments
> than "its the way it is was for years and it worked [... more or less]"
> or the "weak pros" i already listed. i was hoping that a tad of humor
> motivates people to participate in the discussion.

There's a simple answer: I don't mind removing bison generated files, if we
agree (on kde-core-devel) to make bison a build requirement. The other
generated files in khtml are done with some quite non standard tools (or by
hand editing flex output to make it able to handle Unicode), so there I see
no other way then to leave the generated files in CVS.

Lars