[PROPOSAL] cvs support in KDE

Hamish Rodda meddie at yoyo.its.monash.edu.au
Sun Jan 19 23:40:56 GMT 2003

On Monday 20 January 2003 04:32, Christian Loose wrote:
> Am Freitag, 17. Januar 2003 14:57 schrieb Hamish Rodda:
> > On Friday 17 January 2003 23:15, Christian Loose wrote:
> >
> > <big snip>
> >
> > > But before doing even more work, I was thinking, maybe we should create
> > > something that is useful for everybody. What do you think?
> >
> > I'm interested... I can't really get full webdav versioning support into
> > KDE until something system-wide is implemented, so a common api would
> > help heaps...
>
> I don't know much about webdav versioning support. What do you need for it?
> Is there a good documentation somewhere?

The official document is in CVS at kdelibs/kioslave/http/rfc3253 or on the web
at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3253.txt - also, the page at
http://www.webdav.org/specs/ has some supplementary documentation. Webdav
versioning is used by subversion (and probably others I don't know about).

In terms of implementation, I was thinking about extending KIO; using a plugin
mechanism to provide a generic interface to common capabilities of a
versioning system, plus have the ability to add their own unique features to
the file dialog etc.  The plugins would then either implement their
functionality through kioslaves with special() requests, metadata etc, or
other means (separate client library, dcop interface etc.)  This way you
could use your dcop interface, just writing a plugin which uses it.  Also,
the design would hopefully be such that no modification is needed in
applications to take advantage of the basic capability, and little
modifications for full use.

Cheers,
Hamish.