[PROPOSAL] cvs support in KDE

Andras Mantia amantia at virtualartisans.com
Fri Jan 17 12:54:34 GMT 2003

On 2003. January 17., Friday 14:15, Christian Loose wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I want to propose a more organized effort to add a system-wide support for
> CVS (and other vcs like Subversion) to KDE. Right now we have a lot of code
> duplication.
>
> - Cervisia with its new CVS DCOP service
> - KDevelop with cvs and svn part
> - KBabel with libcvs
> - Quanta uses Cervisia (AFAIK)
Right.

> The two parts that might be interesting for code reuse (IMO) are a layer
> which provides easy access to the functionality of the command line client
> and a GUI layer with the dialogs to display the data (like the Browse Log
> dialog of Cervisia).
>
> For Cervisia I decided to create DCOP service for the first layer and I was
> thinking about using KParts plugins for the second layer.

I haven't looked at the new DCOP service of Cervisia, but it sounds great.
Being able to use Cervisia only as a KPart is not the perfect solution, as we
would like to have some CVS functionality (commit/check out/update/diff) from
the various trees, like the project handling tree. Just like in KDevelop.
Implementing it again wouldn't make much sense.

> But before doing even more work, I was thinking, maybe we should create
> something that is useful for everybody. What do you think?

Agreed!

Andras